Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wardrobe Essentials: The White V-Neck (or Plain White Tee)

(Album photo)
(Me2day/Kstyle)
(CocoPerez) (Also, I do not endorse the wearing of tights as pants)

(Fashionising, maybe)
For some reason I don't have too many of guys. Which is odd considering how many adhere (knowingly or unknowingly) to the idea that this is an essential.

While I consider the v-neck version an essential, crew-necks or other plain white tees that fit you nicely are in the same category. Usually, this staple has a relaxed, casual fit and the sleeves are usually short-sleeve and can be rolled up or folded over.

The great thing about them is that you can look like you meant everything you wore when really you were just being lazy. I wore one of these three days in a row last week. But with the right bottoms and accessories, a lazy day doesn't have to look lazy. Be careful though because it's not foolproof. This staple gives your outfit like +500 casual points. So if you're being lazy at formal events (which I don't suggest), you might want to go the route taken in the first pic. But really? Just try to avoid it lol. Semi-formal is one thing, magazine launch parties? Please don't.

Because I don't actually need to tell anyone where to get themself a plain white tee, this post is going to be geared more towards what you can pair them with.

How to wear them: Paired with bottoms that pop.
Examples:

Ripped Skinny Trousers - $59.90

Red Spray On Skinny Jeans - $60
Colored Jeans are a lazy way to make a lazy day outfit pop. Even if you can't find that perfect pair of ripped jeans (true story) or that insane wash of jeans that you meant to save for that purpose, colored jeans are pretty easy to find and will do the job for you in a pinch. On the other hand, the plain white tee can tone down the outrageousness of your favorite color (sometimes we must admit to these things). The two paired together give off a casual yet fun look. Everyone remembers the guy or girl who wore teal pants. Well I do anyway, hard to miss. My favorite are my powder blue Uniqlo legging pants. Though now that I think of it, where did my red Wesc Jeans go? :O

OMG Major Tangent! Skip down for the real stuff. I had a whole row of jeans in the back of my closet that I've been neglecting! Oh man, I'm totally wearing my Wesc Jeans tomorrow with... you guessed it, a white v-neck :)


G-Star V Back Skinny Jean - $95.16

Levi's 511 Skinny Jeans - $44
Black skinnies. These will probably be the subject of next week's post but they can dress/play up a plain white tee perfectly. Though I got mine (all three pairs :O) for less than 20 bux so the first link you should probably not use. But this is not the post for that :) I hate using terms like this but these jeans paired with a plain white tee can give a more grungy/rock (ugh) look.


Bronze Cotton Skinny Chinos - $60
The reason why there isn't a pair for women is because the hunt is still on. But on that note, don't go to Williamsburg wearing these. Or like don't walk into an Urban Outfitters. I'm kidding, go forth and be awesome, lol. I'm not going to explain what this plus a plain white tee does.


Moto Black Betsy Hotpant - $36
Of course Topshop sells these. Usually I'm not on board with stuff that's high-waisted but the right shorts paired with or with a plain white tee tucked in are a quick, cute lazy day outfit.

H&M Skirt - £14.99
The Base Skirt - $34.65
This pairing also brings more attention to your adorable skirt. Sometimes you have these really cute skirts/shorts that you are super fond of but they get lost in your outfit. That's where the PWT enters, ha ha ha.

Layer them under shirts and sweaters
Examples:


Lapel Knit Cardigan - $12.99
Cardigan's are attention-whores. So you can use that to your advantage on days when you're super lazy and just wear them over PWT's. The shirt you were planning on wearing under there would probably lose the attention battle with your cardigan anyway so why not be lazy. You can use that energy to do the 8 million other things you do all day which is why you're lazy in the mornings in the first place.


AE Favorite Shirt - $29.99
I totally get why this is called the favorite shirt. I've been meaning to get this one for a while. But you can throw these over your tee, push the sleeves up, leave them unbuttoned and you're good to go.


Pair them with your more unique or dressy shoes
Examples:

Converse All Star Slim - $65
I remember when Converse first got popular back... in 2004? Maybe earlier. But it was love at first sight for me and we're still going strong ;). But the reason why they're popular is because they almost always work. Here is no different.

Exposed-zip Lace Up Boot - $50
Nothing like a pair of boots to perk up a lazy day outfit. I know I keep saying that even though a lot of times I and I'm sure a lot of other people actually choose to wear their plain white tees. But still I'm trying to stress how easy and useful this can be in your wardrobe. Mostly with shoes the PWT can focus attention on those awesome shoes :)


Aldo Donnino - $110
Man boots. Ha ha, it always cracks me up when I see something like this labeled as a boot. But hey now we have ankle booties so it's all fair. I think every man (and woman, now that I think about it. Though ours are a little different) should have a pair of these. These shoes can be the difference between you and that other guy wearing a v-neck.

Accessorize!
Examples:
Diamond Shape Earrings - $1.50
No delicate earrings here. Go for bold and bad ;)


ASOS Double Finger Ring With Mother Of Pearl Insert - $20.95  

 
ASOS Screw Top Ring - $10.48
My brother was telling me that guys apparently only wear rings on one hand but I don't remember which hand he said. It's okay, be a rebel.
ASOS Super Pyramid Stud Ring - $13.97
Try not to get into a fight with this ring on. And if you do, have the decency to take the ring off first. I'm kidding, violence is not the answer.


ASOS Book Pendant Neckchain - $13.97
Long necklaces look awesome with a plain white tee especially since they don't have to compete with loud screenprints and the like.


ASOS Five Strap Body-Conscious Belt - $26.19
A thick belt can be used to play with proportions but be careful. I've seen this done wrong a bit too often. You want to make it look like your shirt is a little cropped or your jeans are a little high-waisted. You do not want to look like you have the world's longest rear-end. I'm sorry, I could not think of another way to say it :/



Adidas Men's ADH4027 Red Peachtree Digital Watch - $50
A bright digital watch is a pretty easy way to add character to your outfit. Plus, you'll know what time it is when your phone dies. 




Orlando Magic (NIKE FOAMPOSITE PEWTERS and DUNCAN) NBA New Era Hat - $35
I always wonder whether you need to actually support the team or just like the hat? You know, it's your money, who cares.

1 comments:

I am inspired of wearing plain shirts and I am looking forward to wear some. I don't want anymore to wear statement shirts after reading a very good blog by nanette (http://nanetteparker.hubpages.com/hub/mens_fashion_tips_look_trendy_with_plain_tshirts). but the thing is that i am not fan of wearing shoes instead i like to wear sandals or slippers. do you have any blogs that wears slippers or sandals? thanks. please email me at maryjiel[@]gmail[.]com thanks

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More